CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Secrets



I am a children's pastor and one of my favorite times of Sunday mornings is greeting the kids as they check in.  Last Sunday, one of my favorite three year olds runs up to me with her usual smile and hug.  However, this time, she greeted me with a confession.  She told me that she had a secret that only I could know.  TIP: When a three-year-old says they want to tell you a secret, you better listen.
I leaned in, she cupped her little hand over her mouth and whispered, "I love cupcakes and ice cream."
Best. Secret. Ever.
Besides the overwhelming adorability factor, I tried to remember when my "secrets" were that innocent. It seems the older we get, the stuff we keep inside...the stuff we're embarrassed about...the stuff we're ashamed of...the uglier bits of our past gets more and more...well, whatever it is, it's certainly a far cry from cupcakes and ice cream.
Here's all I want to challenge you on today: don't let the "secrets" of your past define who you'll be today and who you're aiming to be tomorrow. If you have stuff to make right...make it right. Forgive. Extend grace. Especially to yourself.
The consequences you've faced as a result of your mistakes won't EVER mean you don't have worth to the world around you (and don't EVER let anyone tell you any different.)
If you're having a hard time digesting that idea, maybe try some cupcakes and ice cream...I know a three-year-old who swears by them.
(Oh...one more thing...the same grace and clean slate you get also applies to everyone else!)
-----
“The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. You might never have been, but you are because the party wouldn't have been complete without you.” // Frederick Buechner

No comments:

Post a Comment